For more information about the RCES counseling program, collaboration and consultation, please contact us at:

Mrs. Chris Dudek-  (Grades KI, 2nd and 4th)                     
Email: cdudek
Phone: 919-380-3660 ext. 21686                               
Mrs. Donesha Hall - (Grades 1st, 3rd and 5th)
Phone: 919-380-3660 ext. 21688

940 Reedy Creek Rd.
Cary, NC 27513
Fax: 919-670-4282

Frequently asked questions


What kinds of issues do you see children for?

When students are experiencing issues that impact their school success, they may be referred to the counselor. Those issues include, but are not limited to: study skills/organization, peer relations, emotional expression, anxiety, divorce/separation, abuse, and grief/loss. It's important to remember that the counselor's office is a place for talking, problem-solving or learning coping skills, not a place of discipline.



How are students referred for school counseling services?

Typical student issues/concerns are in the areas of academic progress, social-emotional stress, family changes, grief/loss, etc. Depending on the level of need,  teachers, administrators or parents can refer a student anytime throughout the year by submitting a referral form, phone or email. Students are encouraged to refer themselves by submitting a "counselor-gram". If a teacher or administrator notices ongoing concerns that affect the student in the school setting, even after classroom interventions have been attempted, they may refer a student for small group services or refer them to be seen on an individual basis.



How often will you see my child?

Because the school counselor must be available for all students and maintain respect for the daily academic schedule, we're able meet with students on a short-term basis. This means small groups are held for4-6 sessions and individually, students can be seen throughout the year on an as-needed basis. We can assist with contacting outside resources for students requiring long-term/in-depth therapy.



Can you tell me what you discuss in a meeting with my child?

The counselor-student relationship is one of trust and dependability. Therefore, we believe in keeping conversations confidential. However, we strongly encourage students to talk to their parents/guardians about the concerns they are having in order to keep an open line of communication. If concerns about the student's health and safety are discussed, it will be addressed accordingly and the parent/guardian and administration will be notified.

What other roles/responsibilities do you have?

The counselor often "wears many hats" around the school. In addition to regular counseling responsibilities, we are also on several committees and teams that collaborate to ensure that the school is a safe and happy environment for all students. Please also note the following roles:

Homebound Coordinator--For students that have medical conditions that may keep them out of school for 6 weeks or more. If your child experiences such a need, please contact a counselor for coordinating services for your child so that they may receive educational supports while they are also receiving medical care.

Concussion Contact-- For students that experience concussions due to falls or accidents. If your child is diagnosed with a concussion by a medical professional, please contact a counselor so that a plan of care can be created to ensure their safety and access to school supports until the concussion diagnosis is cleared.

504 Coordinator-- For students with a qualifying medical condition that requires classroom and/or testing accommodations. Please note that even though your student may qualify, they may not necessarily require a 504 plan. Please contact a counselor for more information.